Day and Night, from indie studio Ridiculous Games, is now available exclusively on Nintendo Switch for $19.99. It is a fast, fun and intellectually challenging ode to classic 2D falling-block puzzle games that incorporates split-second decision making in the face of barely controlled chaos. Governed by an innovative day and night mechanic, players will find both their concentration skills and reaction times tested, all the while being challenged to think tactically to defeat their opponent in real time head to head gameplay.
Day and Night is an epic split screen battle between two opponents – a friend or CPU. Players race to collect their own time-theme blocks while managing the blocks of their opponent. As with life, day turns to night and night turns to day, and this mechanic turns the genre upside down.
“Day becoming night and vice versa is how our game differentiates itself from the other greats in this genre. The two sides of the screen are presented as either time state, with day and night blocks spawning for both players. The core game becomes a dual challenge because players can only collect blocks that match their time state while managing an ever-growing number of inactive blocks while racing against the clock,” Jeremy Airey, CEO, Ridiculous Games.
To defeat an opponent, players not only think about their current time of day/night, but strategically stack inactive blocks in preparation for a time change that turns the rules upside down. Collecting blocks clears the screen and builds the time meter.
“Filling the meter switches the time of day for both players and activates blocks that were inactive just a moment ago. Planning ahead strategically in this way let’s you collect large amounts of blocks in a flash, building up combo points while dropping blocks on your opponent,” said Airey.
With the introduction of this gameplay mechanic, players need to strategize for both the short and long game, collecting active blocks to clear space and fill their meter, while placing inactive blocks to prepare for the next time change.
Day and Night Gameplay Features:-
- Unique Day vs. Night Puzzle Mechanics
- Active blocks switch throughout the battle, based on timed ‘day and night’ cycles, adding new layers of strategy to classic block dropping gameplay.
- Versus Mode
- In this core Day and Night mode, two sides battle for victory in a single player or two-player experience.
- Survival Mode
- Perfect for on-the-go gaming, this is a single player game mode which tests the player’s endurance as they struggle to survive their way through the calendar years
- Story Mode
- Progress through a charming set of stories battling a varied cast of characters along the way
- Dares Mode
- Play through several sets of challenges, each with their own unique rules and twisted scenarios
- Rehearsal Mode
- Battle against an AI CPU opponent in a practice game to learn the basics
- Nintendo Switch Play Modes
- Day and Night supports TV mode, Tabletop Mode and Handheld Mode
- 10 Customizable Characters
- Endearing characters ready for battle; collect a wardrobe of costumes to customize your character
- Cloud Saves
- Day and Night supports Save Data Cloud
For more information, please visit the Nintendo Switch Store Page